April 22, 2020
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION April 22, 2020
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:50 p.m.
PRESENT (at the zoom meeting)
- A. Estell, J. Garden, H. Bradway, L Roberts, A. Blank, J. Petersen, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda & K. Paine, teachers & D. Eaton, First Selectman.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Garden made a motion to approve the minutes from March 11 & April 1, 2020. Seconded by H. Bradway. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report Joe reported on everything that has been impacted since the Covid 19 outbreak & the changes that have occurred. He has been very well updated. The target date for schools going back is May 20 but that could change before that time.
- Principal’s Report Steve talked about Distance Learning & what a great job the staff has done connecting with all the students & parents to make this work. Steve & the staff will be discussing grading & goals in the coming weeks. There will be no state testing this school year. The staff had a mini parade around the town before our April break.
- Curriculum Lisa & Steve met March 12, 2020 to discuss inventory needs, math program, current programs & evaluation plans.
- Communications no new info
- Transportation Steve has been in contact with EASTCONN & will be negotiating for payment for our bus contract during this time off from school.
- Personnel Have reached an agreement for the early retirement incentive.
- Building Extra cleaning because of the virus.
- EASTCONN no new info
- Review of bills. The bills will be reviewed at our next meeting in May.
- 2019-20 Budget Everything is on course for the district budget.
- 2020-2021 Board of Ed Budget The Board of Finance requested that the Board of Ed reduce the proposed budget by an additional $47,000.00. Joe discussed reducing certified staff & creating a Supt/Principal position. He also mentioned minor reductions from various line items. These reductions would total $47,229.00. Reductions were discussed. Funds would be available for a liaison. J. Petersen made a motion to create a one year Supt/Principal position. Seconded by J. Garden. Five members approved this motion & H. Bradway did not approve. Motion passed. A. Blank made a motion to have the Personnel Committee work on a contract for the new Supt/Principal position. Seconded by J. Garden. Five members approved & H. Bradway did not approve this motion. Motion passed.
- Early retirement incentive This package would pay for health insurance for a teacher for the 2020-21 school year. J. Garden made a motion to move New Business Teacher resignation next. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Teacher resignation Joe read a resignation letter from Cathy Escalona that announces her last day will be June 30, 2020. She is retiring after 35 years of service at the Union School. A. Blank made a motion to accept Cathy Escalona’s resignation with regrets & best wishes. Seconded by L. Roberts. Unanimously approved.
3. Second reading-Policy P6114.81 (Emergencies and Disaster Preparedness) This is the second reading of this policy.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
M. Huda said that Cathy Escalona has been a huge part of Union School, a great teacher & mentor to so many students & teachers in the 35 years she has been here.
Dave Eaton said there will be a Zoom hearing on May 5 & a budget adoption meeting May 19, 2020.
J. Petersen had some comments about the Personnel Committee & the new Supt/Principal position.
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:14 p.m. Seconded by L. Roberts. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary