December 7, 2015 Minutes
Union Free Public Library Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 12-7-15
Members present: Ellen Silbermann, Rose-Marie Pellerin, Michele Sienna, Jacqueline
Capomacchio, Jen Morgis, Rose Novak, Library Director Cailin Rae, and Assistant Librarian
The meeting was called to order at 6:49 p.m.
• First Selectman Andy Goodhall met with the board to discuss building maintenance and
renovation plans. The furnace will be serviced and several loose gutter clips will need to
be fixed. The board was excited to hear that the LOCIP (Local Capital Improvement)
Grant will be used for remodeling the library ceiling to expose the original stamped tin
• The minutes from the 11-11-15 meeting were read and approved. Rose-Marie made a
motion to amend the minutes to include the purchase of the Barnes and Noble gift card.
Jen Morgis seconded the motion and all were in favor.
• There was no attendance at Story Time.
• Community Programs 2016: The board discussed the possibility of repeating two
successful 2014 programs — the Elder Care and the Law session with the Judge of
Probate and the Self-Defense Workshop.
• The maintenance list was reviewed.
• Ellen suggested that the library create a central file back up system in case of
emergency. A Peer Advisor Network Consultant could be hired short-term to help create
a Standard Operating Manual.
• The board discussed the 2016 budget and the library grants. Materials will be purchased
with remaining grant funds.
• Winter Read: Cailin is creating a new paper log to make it easier for participants to keep
track of their reading. Prizes need to be determined for three age groups: K-4, 5-8, and
• Donna reported on possible vendors for the new plastic library cards. After some
discussion by members, Rose-Marie made a motion to select Vanguard. Jen seconded
and the motion passed. The board then considered possible options for the logo
including an ink sketch of the library building.
Michele Sienna motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:35 p.m. Rose Novak seconded. The
motion passed and the meeting was adjourned at 9:35 p.m.
Rose Novak, Secretary