August 3, 2016 Minutes
Union Free Public Library Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 8-3-16
Members present: Ellen Silbermann, Rose-Marie Pellerin, Michele Sienna, Jen Morgis, Rose Novak, Library Director Cailin Rae, and Assistant Librarian Donna Jellen
The meeting was called to order at 7:05 p.m.
• After the board reviewed the 5-4-16 meeting minutes, Rose-Marie Pellerin made a motion to accept them as read and Jen Morgis seconded the motion. The motion passed.
• The board reviewed options for additional lighting inside the library.
• Plans were made to prepare the library for wall painting as well as the installation of the main lighting fixtures. Books must be packed up and shelves moved,
and then returned to their original places following completion of the work.
• The library will be closed on August 8, 10, 13, and 15 for the painting and light installation.
• Rose-Marie Pellerin motioned to approve a 3% increase in the salaries and expenses line items for the FY16-17 budget.
The 3% increase was included retroactively to clarify any question that the board did approve the increase.
Ellen Silbermann seconded the motion and it passed.
• Peer Advisor Network (PAN): Ellen Silbermann reported that the PAN has been cut by the state but that
Wendy Baker-Ronitz will facilitate a consultation independently.
• Maintenance: Rose-Marie Pellerin reported that the library paid for a consultation regarding rodent
control. She also recommended that we use Stanley Steemer to clean the downstairs carpet.
• Community Programs: Cailin Rae has contacted The Last Green Valley Ranger Program for a free talk,
possibly in September or October. Rose-Marie Pellerin suggested a dropin crafts program, such as
the one held in the Holland, MA library. Michele Sienna has received an offer for a basic painting
class. Ellen Silbermann suggested that the board invite Judge of Probate, Tim Keeney, to return.
She also recommended that we repeat the self-defense session.
• Old Home Day: the board reviewed the list of volunteer contributions including snacks and tableware
and discussed the possibility of raffle tickets to accompany the book sale.
• The board decided that all future reading competitions, beginning with the next Winter Read,
will award a prize to each of the top 3 readers in each category of Pre-K to 12. Rose-Marie
Pellerin motioned to accept the change, Jen Morgis seconded the motion, and it passed.
Adults will continue to compete for one top prize.
• Michele Sienna tendered her resignation from the Board of Directors effective Sept. 1, 2016.
Her position will need to be filled.
• Michele Sienna updated the board on the status of the bank accounts.
• Plant Sale: the sale raised $712.00 for the library.
• Summer Reading: Cailin Rae reported that the program is going well but that some young
participants still need to sign up, even though they have been reading.
The next Board of Directors meeting will take place Wednesday, September 7 at 7:00 p.m.
Rose-Marie Pellerin motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:25 p.m. Ellen Silbermann seconded,
and the meeting was adjourned at 9:25 p.m.
Rose Novak, Secretary