November 9, 2016 Minutes
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION November 9, 2016
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:34 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Zieger, H. Matthews, J. Swanson, J. Garden, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary & M. Huda, teacher. A. Blank was not in attendance.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Zieger made a motion to approve the minutes of October 12, & October 26, 2016. Seconded J. Swanson. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report J. Reardon distributed the educational portion of the town report to the Board. He also noted that the district is eligible to apply for a grant through the state because of our “School of Distinction” rating. Joe reported on various meetings throughout the month he has attended. The possibility of a Woodstock Academy late bus was discussed.
- Principal’s Report Steve thanked the U.S.A., staff & students for the great job they did for the Veterans’ Day celebration we had at the school today. There was a great turnout for the Curriculum night we had last month. Steve reported on various professional days our staff members have been engaged in during the first few months. William Cross, a junior at Cheney Tech, shared some of his technical high school experiences with the students this past week. He did a great job. We had a successful Fall Festival, 7th grade movie & 8th grade dance recently.
a. Curriculum Steve reported on the curriculum.
b. Communication Andrea & Amy met with Teddy Sleight from
EASTCONN to discuss our website and other communication
c. Transportation Heather & Joe reported on transportation.
We will look into the needs of our high school students in
regards to a late bus from Woodstock Academy.
d. Personnel no new info
e. Building A rep. from Ross Solar Group was here checking out various parts of the school.
- Review the bills. Andrea reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2016-2017 Our budget is on an even keel. Some of the Board members will attend the Board of Finance meeting on December 14.
- Solar Energy – no new updates
- Policy second reading sub-Policy #s: 1000 – 6000 H. Matthews made a motion to make this the second reading of these Policies. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Superintendent evaluation The Board will be working on a draft and sharing it with the Superintendent.
- Board of Ed Meeting Schedule for 2017 It was discussed. Motion by J. Garden to accept the 2017 Board of Schedule with added meetings. Seconded. Unanimously approved. This schedule will be submitted to the Union Town Clerk.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
No one J. Zieger made a motion to add to the agenda - transportation. Seconded. Unanimously approved. There was a discussion about the bus we use to take the students to the town library every Monday afternoon. It is for safety & liability.
Motion by H. Matthews to adjourn at 8:00 p.m. Seconded by J. Garden. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary