December 14, 2016
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION December 14, 2016
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:40 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Zieger, H. Matthews, J. Swanson, A. Blank, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary. J. Garden was not in attendance.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Zieger made a motion to approve the minutes of November 9 & November 30, 2016. Seconded J. Swanson. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
The Board received a letter from a parent with issues concerning bussing, which was discussed. Also discussion about bus rules, assigned seats and bus stops. Many of these issues are addressed in our student handbook & transportation policies. There will be a CABE breakfast on Jan. 23, 2017 for Board members.
- Superintendent’s Report J. Reardon discussed the superintendent meeting he attended at Woodstock Academy recently. If the late bus is approved by Woodstock Academy, it would be at no charge to Union. The Administration has been working on a preliminary budget for 2017-18. This budget will be discussed at our January 11th meeting & submitted to the Board of Finance on January 17th.
- Principal’s Report Steve discussed parent/teacher conferences, winter concert on Dececmber 15th, basket raffle, Spirit Week, Scholastic Book Fair (thanked Mrs. Vennart & Mrs. Crevier), Holiday Bazaar, & Mobile Stem Lab (students will be participating in May, 2017). Steve has applied for a grant through the state that is only offered to Schools of Distinction.
a. Curriculum Steve discussed plans for science & social studies and the recent committee meeting.
b. Communication The Administration had a meeting with EASTCONN today and were given ways to promote our school within our community on the website, Facebook, and other avenues.
c. Transportation Discussed above.
d. Personnel no new info
e. Building A rep. from Ross Solar Group was here checking out various parts of the school.
December 14, 2016 page 2
- Review the bills. Andrea reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2016-2017 Budget At this point, we are projecting a surplus for 2016-17 due mainly to fewer high school tuitions.
- Solar Energy – no new updates
- Policy Joe distributed a sample policy Student Discipline & Promoting Positive Student Behavior which will be discussed at a later meeting.
- Principal’s Contract Joe distributed the new Principal’s Contract from July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2020. H. Matthews made a motion to accept the Principal’s Contract. Seconded by A. Blank. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by H. Matthews to adjourn at 8:32 p.m. Seconded by A. Blank. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary