May 10, 2017
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION May 10, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:35 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Zieger, H. Matthews, A. Blank, J. Garden, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, H. Bradway & L. Roberts.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- H. Matthews made a motion to approve the minutes of April 19, 2017. Seconded by J. Zieger. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Andrea Estell will contact the town clerk about a Board member question. J. Garden made a motion to add to the agenda: budget transfers. H. Matthews seconded. Unanimously approved. J. Zieger made a motion to table New Business 1. Personnel Policy & 2. Instruction Policy until a later meeting. Seconded. Unanimously approved. J. Garden & A. Estell will attend a Mental Health Conference at EASTCONN in June.
- Superintendent’s Report: Joe reported on various meetings he has attended. He reported on a recent Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents (CAPSS) meeting. He attended an EASTCONN Adult Ed meeting which was very informative. The last Board of Finance meeting went very well. The next Strategic Plan meeting will be June 14 at 3:15 p.m. There is a town budget meeting scheduled for May 23 at 7:30 p.m.
- Principal’s Report: Steve reported on the science curriculum which will be complete for year one for PreK–8th grade. This will be implemented this coming school year. We are also working on Social Studies & ELA curriculum. Students really enjoyed EASTCONN’s Mobile Stem Lab. The USA provided a delicious taco hot lunch for everyone. We had our first Health Day thanks to our two nurses who coordinated the event. Students really enjoyed all of the activities that were planned. Students in grades 5-8 also received CPR training from Paul Wentworth. Students in grades 3-8 went to Avery Point today for Marine Science Day funded by the USA. Washington DC trip is next week for the Class of 2017. Music Concert is May 25 at 6:30 p.m. Graduation & last day of school – June 15.
a. Curriculum no new info
b. Communication no new info
c. Transportation no new info
d. Personnel no new info
e. Building no new updates
page 2 May 10, 2017
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order. There were a few additional charges for HVAC system not covered by our maintenance agreement.
- 2016-2017 Budget Right now we are looking at an approximately $83,000 surplus in this year’s budget.
- OLD BUSINESS
- 2017-2018 Board of Ed Budget: The 2017-18 Budget was discussed. Following the guidance of the Board of Finance regarding the use of projected 2016-2017 balances, the BOE made adjustments to the 2017-2018 budget. J. Zieger made a motion to adopt the revised 2017-18 Budget. Seconded by A. Blank. Unanimously approved.
- Catch basin The catch basin will be repaired June 16
- Solar update J. Zieger reported that plans for solar continue to progress.
- Personnel Policy - tabled
- Instruction Policy - tabled
- PreK-K 2017-2018 Schedule There was a discussion to have PreK (four year olds)attend 2 full days per week and 3 half days until January 2018 & then 3 full days & 2 half days until the end of the school year. J. Garden made a motion to approve this plan. Seconded by H. Matthews. Unanimously approved.
- Budget transfers - A recommended budget transfer sheet was distributed to the Board & it was discussed: $56,000 in transfers to many different accounts for line item spending. A. Blank made a motion to make these transfers. Seconded by J. Zieger. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
H. Bradway had a few questions that were addressed.
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:41 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary