June 14, 2017
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION June 14, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:35 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Zieger, H. Matthews, A. Blank, J. Garden, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary & H. Bradway.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Zieger made a motion to approve the minutes of May 10, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report Joe reported that the state does not have a budget as of yet. Our 8th grade graduation will be tomorrow night.
- Principal’s Report Steve said the students did a wonderful job with the drama production they put on headed up by our music teacher, Mr. Summerer. DARE graduation was this past week. A few school groups went to Bigelow Hollow recently. We had kindergarten graduation & the spring concert. A few groups went to the over 50’s Club at the town hall. The 8th grade students had a great time in DC in May. Elizabeth Morgis started a canned food drive for our veterans, which was a huge success. We had a great Field Day with 28 volunteers.
a. Curriculum no new info
b. Communication no new info
c. Transportation no new info
d. Personnel no new info
e. Building no new updates
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order. There were a few issues that were repaired with our water pump & boiler.
- 2016-2017 Budget Our restocking is continuing and almost complete. We are anticipating a surplus of about $45,000.00.
- 2017-2018 Board of Ed Budget This Budget is extremely tight.
- Catch basin The catch basin will be repaired June 15th.
- Solar update No update
- Budget Transfers J. Zieger made a motion to do the transfers as written. H. Matthews seconded. Unanimously approved.
- EASTCONN health insurance cooperative A. Blank made a motion to authorize the administration to send a letter of interest to EASTCONN taking a look at partnership in health insurance. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- 2017-2018 Strategic Plan Steve presented the Draft School Strategic Plan 2017-18 to the Board & it was discussed. It was suggested to add Math to page 2 of the document.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Foreign language & a town wide newspaper were discussed. Andrea thanked Heather Matthews & Jim Zieger for their service on the Board.
Motion by J. Garden to adjourn at 8:07 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary