August 16, 2017
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION August 16, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:31 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, H. Bradway, L. Roberts, J. Petersen, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, Dave Eaton, 1st Selectman & a few townspeople. J. Garden was not in attendance. A. Blank made a motion to move Election of officers first. Seconded. Unanimously approved. A. Blank nominated A. Estell for Chairperson. Seconded. Unanimously approved. A. Estell nominated A. Blank for Vice Chair. Seconded. Unanimously approved. A. Estell nominated H. Bradway for Secretary. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- A. Blank made a motion to approve the minutes from June 14, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Resignation letter under New Business
- Superintendent’s Report: Joe reported that we had an emergency situation a few weeks ago at the school. Joe praised the Union Fire Department for their very quick response & excellent manner in which the situation was handled. Joe has been working with CABE addressing revisions to our Policies & updating laws & regulations. Three students have been accepted to technical high schools. The summer school staff did a great job this past July. Jan & Carl did a great job cleaning the school. The catch basin has been repaired.
- Principal’s Report: Steve said IT from Eastconn has been here to program our new ipads & Chrome Books which we purchased from a state grant. We added mulch to the playground. Teachers will be in next week for curriculum work which will be covered through the state grant. Grades 5 – 8 will have a choice of electives for a time during some of their afternoons.
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2016-2017 Budget Should have ~$49,000.00 surplus.
August 16, 2017 page 2
- 2017-2018 Board of Ed Budget This Budget is extremely tight. Dave Eaton, First Selectman, reported that he heard from legislators that the town of Union will get a total of ~$50,000 from the state with the Governor’s proposals.
- EASTCONN Health Insurance Cooperative We have been in contact with EASTCONN about the insurance.
- Election of officers (Above)
- Acceptance of teacher resignation (Physical education position) Dawn O’Neil, our PE teacher, submitted her resignation at the end of June, 2017. A. Blank made a motion to accept her resignation with regrets. Seconded. Unanimously approved. A. Blank gave J. Reardon the authority to hire Alexandria DeCaro as our new P.E. teacher providing all her references & certificate check out correctly. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Appointment of subcommittee chairs
Curriculum: Jessica Garden
Communication: Heidi Bradway
Transportation: Lisa Roberts
Personnel: Amy Blank
Building: Jonathan Petersen
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Few comments from townspeople.
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:50 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary