November 14, 2017
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION November 14, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:35 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, H. Bradway, J. Petersen, J. Garden, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda, teacher & D. Eaton, Union First Selectman. Not in attendance: L. Roberts
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- H. Bradway made a motion to approve the minutes from October 10 & 24, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- We received a note from the Board of Finance. They would like us to submit the BOE annual budget for 2018-19 by January 15, 2018.
- Superintendent’s Report Joe explained the timeline for our 2018-19 budget. We should have the final review & adoption of the new budget by our January 10, 2018 meeting. If need be, we will have a special meeting Dec. 19. Joe mentioned a regional Superintendents’ meeting he would be attending at EASTCONN. The new state budget was also mentioned.
- Principal’s Report Steve reported on the solar panel update. They started last week & should be finished with the anchors in another week or so. Parent/teacher conferences are scheduled for early Dec. The PE & health curriculum is being updated. We had an excellent turnout for Curriculum Night at the school. Steve gave an update on foreign language possibilities. Our winter concert will be December 20th.
- Curriculum -There is a meeting this week.
- Communications -No communications
- Transportation -Few bus issues resolved
- Personnel -No new personnel info
- Building -Work continues installing the solar panels at the school.
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2017-2018 Budget Joe updated the Board on our current budget.
- EASTCONN health insurance cooperative Since we are so small, this is probably not a good fit for us at this time, but EASTCONN will be looking for insurance geared more toward smaller schools.
- Policy #s: P6172.4(a) and P4112.5(a), 4212.5, second reading This was the second reading of these policies
- Board of Ed Meeting dates for 2018 J. Garden made a motion to accept the dates for the Board of Ed 2018 meeting dates. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Dave Eaton said he wants to work toward a 0% tax increase for next fiscal budget.
J. Petersen made a motion to cancel our Board of Ed meeting for November 28, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:25 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary