December 12, 2017
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION December 12, 2017
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:33 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, L. Roberts, J. Petersen, J. Garden, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda, teacher. Not in attendance: H. Bradway
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- L. Roberts made a motion to approve the minutes from November 14, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- None A. Blank made a motion to add budget transfers under New Business. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Connor Huda received a Superintendent’s Award from Woodstock Academy for excellence in academics & citizenship. He is in his senior year at The Academy. Woodstock Academy will be attending one of our Board of Ed. meetings to discuss an overview of their programs.
- Superintendent’s Report Joe mentioned a regional Superintendents’ meeting he would be attending at EASTCONN. They will be discussing unfunded state mandates. We will check into EASTCONN co-op purchasing. Joe distributed the Supt Report which will be included in the Town Report. This report was given to the Board of Finance.
- Principal’s Report Steve reported that the installation portion of the solar panel project is complete. There will be inspections & it will be tied into our electrical system. Steve discussed adding another full day for preschool this year (around mid-January). Currently, it’s three half days and two full days. The student-led conferences went very well. Steve will be doing a survey of teachers, parents & students soon. A cocoa, cookies & communications night was mentioned and will be held sometime in late January. We recently had a book fair at the school. Special thanks to Mrs. Vennart for running this once again. Our winter concert will be December 20th at 6:30pm.
- Curriculum J. Garden & Steve had a very productive meeting on Nov. 30th to discuss Science & Social Studies topics/units & possibly connecting with the Union Historical Society. Also discussed PE, health, art & music.
- Communications no communications
- Transportation few bus issues have been resolved
- Personnel no new personnel info
- Building Solar panels mentioned above
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills and everything was in order.
- 2017-2018 Budget Joe updated the Board on our current budget.
- Final Reading & adoption of Policy #s: P6172.4(a) and P4112.5(a), 4212.5 J. Garden made a motion to adopt these policies. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Budget transfers Transfer $20,000 from High School Tuition and add $15,000 to Professional Services, $1,000 to Custodial Supplies, $2000 to Special Ed. Supplies and $2000 to Special Ed. Equipment. A. Blank made a motion to transfer these funds to these four accounts. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Budget 2018-19: Review & discussion of first draft. The budget was distributed to the Board members, and it was discussed.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:23 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary