January 10, 2018
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION January 10, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:38 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, L. Roberts, J. Petersen, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda, teacher & D. Eaton, Union First Selectman. Not in attendance: J. Garden
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Petersen made a motion to approve the minutes from December 12, 2017. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- There will be a meeting at The Travelers Restaurant Saturday, January 13, 2018 with Pat Boyd. There will be a CABE breakfast on January 22nd in Brooklyn.
- Superintendent’s Report The regional Superintendents’ meeting was postponed because of the snow storm. The Board of Ed will meet with the Board of Finance in February to discuss the 2018-19 BOE Budget. Policies distributed: Equity & Diversity, Computers: Websites/Pages, Homeless Students & Equal Opportunity Plan. These Policies will be discussed at a later date.
- Principal’s Report Steve reported on the Strategic Plan. There will be a Cocoa, Cookies & Conversation Night at the school on February 7, 2018 for parents, students, staff & townspeople. Our science specialist from EASTCONN will be here tomorrow to meet with the staff to support new curriculum implementation. We are looking for parent feedback from student-led conferences and have an online survey open until January 15th. Data teams will meet January 16th in the afternoon. Students have an early dismissal that day. There will be a child safety program for the younger students. Steve will send out information in the newsletter to the parents beforehand. The winter concert & art work were wonderful. There will be an eighth grade dance on January 26th.
- Curriculum no new curriculum info
- Communications We will spread the word for the Cocoa,
Cookies & Conversation Night, February 7, 2018 6:30 p.m.
- Transportation The committee met to discuss high school
bus routes for next school year.
- Personnel no new personnel info
- Building We had air quality testing done at the school and the tests were all normal.
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2017-2018 Budget Joe updated the Board on our current budget. Right now we are looking at about a $23,000 surplus for this school year.
- Budget 2018-19 Review & Adoption The Budget was discussed. Some items in the BOE Budget will now be included in the Town’s Budget. A. Blank made a motion to accept the Board of Ed 2018-19 budget after deducting Workers Comp., liability insurance, heating oil & diesel costs from the BOE budget since it will be included in the Town’s Budget. Seconded by J. Petersen. Unanimously approved.
- No new business
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:25 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary