February 14, 2018
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION February 14, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:37 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, J Garden, J. Petersen, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary. Not in attendance: L. Roberts
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- H. Bradway made a motion to approve the minutes from January 10, 2018. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- None J. Garden made a motion to add calendar change under New Business. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Superintendent’s Report Joe, Steve & Jess discussed integrating diversity into our curriculum development. Joe attended small district superintendents’ meeting addressing strengths in small districts. There was also a CAPSS legislative meeting. The Board of Ed will be meeting with the Board of Finance soon to discuss our 2018-19 Budget. Joe & Steve will be meeting with the new EASTCONN transportation director. CABE Day on the Hill will be in March.
- Principal’s Report Steve reported on the Strategic Plan including student-led conferences and curriculum development. Our Cocoa, Cookies & Conversation night will be rescheduled to sometime in March. We are waiting to hear from the state if we can reduce our amount of water testing. There will be a Family Dance on February 23rd. Our Olympics Day will be tomorrow. We received parent feedback from student-led conferences which will be discussed with the teachers. The child safety programs are going well for the younger students.
- Curriculum Adding Equity & Diversity to our curriculum
- Communications Cocoa, Cookies & Conversation Night will be sometime in March.
- Transportation Joe and Steve will be meeting with new director.
- Personnel Joe will be filling out Form ED003 to start process for new teachers’ contract.
- Building We are in the final stages before the solar panels will be in use.
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2017-2018 Budget Joe updated the Board on our current budget. Right now we are looking at about a $23,000 surplus for this school year.
- Budget 2018-19 Review & Adoption Our Budget has been reduced by about $34,000 because the town will put Workers Comp, liability insurance, heating oil & diesel in the Towns’ Budget.
- Policies: PO521(a), P5118.1, P6141.322(a), First Reading. The Board reviewed these policies.
- Calendar change for March 9, 2018: Joe asked the Board to approve a change in the calendar for March 9, 2018 from a professional development day (no school for students) to a half day for students & half curriculum day for teachers in the afternoon. A. Blank made a motion for March 9, 2018 half day for student & afternoon curriculum time for teachers. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:35 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary