March 14, 2018
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION March 14, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:37 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, L. Roberts, J. Petersen, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary & M. Huda, teacher. Not in attendance: J. Garden
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Petersen made a motion to approve the minutes from February 14, 2018. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report: Joe met with the Superintendents’ Association and mentioned the impact Union would have from the state’s latest reductions in their budget. Andrea & Joe met with EASTCONN about health insurance. EASTCONN might develop a plan for insurance for smaller school districts to join. The Board of Ed had a productive session with the Board of Finance recently.
- Principal’s Report: Steve reported on the Strategic Plan for science. Our Cocoa, Cookies & Conversation night is scheduled for March 21, 2018. We have heard from the state that we now have fewer water tests to conduct throughout the school year. We had about 50 people for the Family Dance. Our Olympics Day went great. We received parent feedback from student-led conferences which was shared with staff. A few adjustments were made based on the feedback. The staff is working on new report cards for grades PreK – 4. Carl & The Town Crew have done an excellent job keeping up with the many March storms we have had. As of right now, our last day is June 19th – subject to change. We had a wonderful turnout today for the grandparent hot lunch program. Thank you to all of the volunteers, donations and USA for the support.
- Curriculum Working on the Social Studies Curriculum
- Communications Cocoa, Cookies & Conversation Night will be March 21st.
- Transportation Joe & Steve met with the new EASTCONN Transportation Director
- Personnel No new info
- Building Almost there for solar panel to be online
Page 2 March 14, 2018
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2017-2018 Budget Joe updated the Board on our current budget. Right now, we are looking at about a $23,000 surplus for this school year. We will do a visual check on our supplies on hand.
- Budget 2018-19 Review & Adoption The Board of Ed met with the Board of Finance & our Budget was discussed. Declining enrollment was also discussed. They want to keep the school as it’s a valuable resource to the students as well as the town. They would like the school to do something “special” to encourage families with children to move into Union.
- Policies: PO521(a), P5118.1, P6141.322(a), Second
Reading, The Board reviewed these policies.
- Budget – Transfer Funds A. Blank made a motion to deduct $6,000.00 from the Special Ed. Tuition line & move $5,500.00 to Oil Expense & $500.00 to Business Office Services. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Calendar 2018-19 The calendar was discussed. A. Blank made a motion to approve the 18-19 Calendar. Seconded. Four in favor, one abstention.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:05 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary