June 13, 2018
Union Board of Education June 13, 2018
Call to Order
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:45 PM
Approval of Minutes: from May 9, 2018- motion accepted by L. Roberts, seconded by A. Estell. Passed unanimously.
- Estell, J. Garden, A. Blank, L. Roberts, J. Petersen, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin.,
M. Powers, recording sec. D. Eaton (First Selectman), J. Zieger. Not in attendance: H. Bradway
Individuals to be heard-none
Communications- Letter of resignation from Adam Summerer (Music)
- Superintendent’s Report- Joe reported State Superintendent’s Advocacy Group plans for an early start next year because of elections and the legislative session beginning earlier.
District strengths- BOE’s good relationship with Board of Selectmen and Board of Finance, Superintendent and Principal.
Continuing our Strategic plan including a positive staff/parent relationship, as well as staff engaged in student learning.
- Principal’s Report- Steve reported on Field Day-terrific event. Miss DeCaro, Mrs. Crevier, Union Library, USA did a great job. The Music/Art show was a success with thanks to Mr. Summerer and Mrs. Fischetti. Other school events included a mini Variety/Drama Show; 7th and 8th grade performance of Romeo and Juliet and College Knowledge Day; Health Day. Washington D.C. and Boston trips also went well. Held PreK Welcome Day. Grades 5/6 began a recycling initiative. Plans to begin a rain barrels project in the fall. Coming up: Graduation Dance on June 15th and 8th grade Graduation Ceremony on June 19th.
- Curriculum-Steve distributed the updated Strategic Plan. Minimal changes made. Adding student electives based on student interest. Adding Babbel to trial w/ students (foreign language program). Updating report cards for PK-4-streamlining in a parent-friendly language. PBIS will continue with Paws in PK-4, teacher discretion rewards in grades 5-8. PK-2 teachers will pilot Science/Social Studies teaming.
- Transportation-Trial routes have begun. Will continue to tweak over the summer.
- Personnel-Initial contact from the State for contract negotiations. Contracts end
June 30, 2019
- Building- Catch basin repair and paving repair in school parking lot. Steve will update and follow up. Leak in heating/cooling system in building being repaired.
- Financial Report- Review of bills- A. Estell reported everything was in order.
BOE Budget 2017-2018-Will likely have a surplus. Supply and inventory has been checked.
Old Business- Budget 2018-2019 Budget passed.
Budget transfers- Steve distributed the latest Munis transfers.
A.Blank made a motion to approve, J. Garden seconded the motion. Unanimously
Resignation-Music Department- Joe read Adam Summerer’s letter of resignation. A. Blank made a motion to accept with regrets, L. Roberts seconded the motion. Unanimously approved.
Individuals to be Heard- Jim Zieger expressed concerns over Mr. Summerer’s resignation and transportation timing in afternoon.
Adjournment- Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:15 PM. Seconded by A. Blank. Approved unanimously.
Michele D. Powers, Recording Sec.