September 12, 2018
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION September 12, 2018
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:38 p.m.
- A. Estell, A. Blank, J. Garden, J. Petersen, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary & Mrs. Eames. Not in attendance: L. Roberts
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Garden made a motion to approve the minutes from August 22, 2018. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Mrs. Eames distributed information for the Board & it was discussed.
- We received an FOI from Mrs. Eames. A. Blank made a motion to add to the agenda: Agreement (ED-099) to participate in the Child Nutrition Programs. Seconded. Unanimously approved. J. Garden made a motion for a discussion of snow days to be used as distance learning. Seconded. Unanimously approved. These will be added under New Business.
- Superintendent’s Report Joe said we have a formal agreement with Woodstock Academy regarding tuition payments. Joe will be attending Superintendents’ and CAPSS meetings. Teacher negotiations will start October 4th at 6:30 p.m.
- Principal’s Report Steve said the Union Fire Marshal did a walkthrough and the building passed inspection. Steve made some adjustments to our bus schedules. The staff will be reviewing the Smarter Balanced testing that the students took this past spring. Our chronic absenteeism rate has been cut almost in half from the past school year. Open House is September 20 at 6 p.m. Hot lunch will be September 19.
- Curriculum -Will be revising PreK – 4 report cards
- Communications No new info
- Transportation No new info
- Personnel Teacher Contract negotiations
- Building No new info
- EASTCONN A. Blank filled in the Board about new updates at EASTCONN.
- Review the bills. Andrea & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2018-19 Budget Ok so far.
- Policy discussion Joe said we were in the fifth year of our bus contract with EASTCONN. Policy 3323 states that we can waive the bidding procedures if we receive reasonable prices from EASTCONN. If not, we can go out to bid after that. A. Blank made a motion to waive the bidding process for a new bus contract with EASTCONN. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Permanent Single Agreement (ED-099) to Participate in the Child Nutrition Programs This was discussed A. Blank made a motion for the Union Board of Ed & the Union School to enter into the new permanent agreement with USDA & CNP Child Nutrition Programs (ED-099) & designate the authorized signers as follows: Joseph Reardon will be signer #1, Steve Jackopsic will be signer #2 & Linda MacPherson will be signer #3. Seconded by J. Garden. Unanimously approved.
- Snow days & Distance Learning This was discussed by the Board. Motion by J. Garden to have J. Reardon get in touch with the State Dept of Ed for their input. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:59 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary