March 13, 2019
UNION BOARD OF EDUCATION March 13,2019,
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Blank at 6:35 p.m.
- A. Blank, J. Garden, L. Roberts, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda, teacher. Not in attendance: A. Estell & J. Petersen.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- J. Garden made a motion to approve the minutes from February 13, 2019. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report Joe reported on the public hearing at the state level on March 1st. Andrea & Joe attended and testified against bills concerning forced regionalization and the size of school districts. Our Union School is efficient, effective and evolving. Grades 5-8 and staff will be attending CABE- A Day On The Hill next Wed. March 20th. Our Lt. Governor should be visiting our school sometime this spring.
- Principal’s Report Our school was ranked at number 30 out of 200 school districts in the state per the recently released District Performance Index by the CSDE. Our teachers & students are doing a great job. Ross Solar will be installing snow guards on the roof to prevent snow avalanches falling down on the ground near the entrances in back of the school. We should have the bus contract proposal finalized from EASTCONN by our April meeting. The upper grades are working on a second newsletter. Steve will have a coffee hour on Thursday, March 21st at 6 p.m. to discuss regionalization bills. Judge Hope Seeley & some Woodstock Academy students came to the school for Read Across America Day events. We also had some mystery readers at grades PK/K.
- Curriculum Jess Garden shares info with Steve that she finds interesting pertaining to our curriculum.
- Communications No new info
- Transportation Bus Contact with EASTCONN-should have for April meeting
- Personnel No new info (Will meet next month)
- Building No new info (Ross Solar snow guard installation)
- EASTCONN Amy discussed some new programs offered at EASTCONN
- Review the bills. Amy & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2018-19 Budget Still projecting about an $10,000.00 deficit at this time. We are closely monitoring in order to minimize the deficit.
- 2019-2020 Board of Ed Budget The Town Budget hearing will be on April 23rd and May 13th will be the Town Meeting to vote on the Budget.
- Union School Calendar 2019-2020 J. Garden made a motion to approve the dates of the new calendar. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Bus Contract Extension Tabled until our April meeting
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
Motion by L. Roberts to adjourn at 7:52 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary