May 8, 2019
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by A. Estell at 6:37 p.m.
- A. Estell, J. Garden, A. Blank, H. Bradway, J. Reardon, Supt., S. Jackopsic, Prin., L. MacPherson, recording secretary, M. Huda, teacher. Not in attendance: L. Roberts & J. Petersen.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- A. Blank made a motion to approve the minutes from April 10, 2019. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD
- Superintendent’s Report Joe reported on the various items that are being discussed at the state level including teacher pensions & regionalization. The Appropriations Committee’s budget for Education Cost Sharing funding was about $1,200.00 less than the Governor’s proposal for the Fiscal Year 2020.
- Principal’s Report Students in grades 3-8 are taking the Smarter Balanced tests. The DC trip will be next week for the 7th & 8th grade students headed up by Mr. Rae & Mrs. Escalona. We had the first responders and the town crew for a taco hot lunch today to thank them for their service and support. Amanda Gaug, who coordinates all the hot lunches, does a great job along with the other volunteers. Tomorrow is our third annual Health Day for the students. May 23rd at 6:30pm is our art show & spring concert. May 31st is Field Day. June 12th is the last day of school & graduation. There are a few field trips planned for grades PreK-6 grade.
- Curriculum no new info
- Communications Our Lieutenant Governor might be visiting the school
- Transportation no new info
- Personnel Joshua Lambert will be taking over some of Carl & Jan’s work at the school
- Building Waiting for the snow guard installation on the roof by Ross Solar
- EASTCONN Amy is informed about new bills that pass at the state level
Page 2 May 8, 2019
- Review the bills. Amy & Joe reviewed the bills & everything was in order.
- 2018-19 Budget Still projecting about a $10,000.00 deficit at this time.
- 2019-2020 Board of Ed Budget The Town Meeting will be May 13th to vote on the Budget. We have reduced our Board of Ed Budget by over $70,000. J. Garden made a motion to approve the revised budget. Seconded by A. Blank. Unanimously approved.
- Union School Calendar 2019-2020 Adjustment J. Garden would like to change Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day. A discussion followed. J. Garden made a motion to make this change on our calendar. Seconded by H. Bradway. A vote followed. Two for the calendar change, two against the change. This didn’t pass. It was suggested that the staff & students research this & bring this to the Board for another vote at another time. The Board would also like to get community input.
- Budget transfers Steve distributed a list of BOE Budget Transfers to various accounts. H. Bradway made a motion to approve these transfers. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Board of Ed date change (Move from 6/12 to 6/5/2019) Since graduation is June 12th the BOE is changing the June meeting date to June 5, 2019. A. Blank made a motion to change the June meeting date to June 5, 2019. Seconded. Unanimously approved.
- Teacher resignation Alex DeCaro submitted her letter of resignation effective at the end of this school year. H. Bradway made a motion to accept her resignation with regrets. Seconded. Unanimously approved. Everyone wished her well. She has done a fantastic job.
INDIVIDUALS TO BE HEARD-None
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 7:57 p.m. Seconded. Passed unanimously.
Respectfully Submitted, Linda MacPherson, Recording Secretary