December 9, 2020
Union Board of Education
Date: December 9, 2020
Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m. by A. Estell.
Attending: A. Estell, H. Bradway, E. Fournier, L. Roberts, Sup./Prin., S. Jackopsic, M. Powers, Rec. Sec.
Others attending: L. Demurjian, D. Eaton, M. Huda, K. Malinowski-Paine
Approval of Minutes
A. Estell made a motion to approve the minutes from Nov. 11, 2020. Seconded by L. Roberts. Unanimously approved.
Individuals to be heard
Sup./Prin. Jackopsic gave an update from the DPH regarding COVID-19-no adjustments at this time. They will continue to update us if any adjustments need to be made.
Administrative Reports and Activities Summary
Superintendent’s and Principal’s Report-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic reported that
COVID-19 Relief Funding is being used for air balancing, automatic faucets, ventilation in the building. Funds must be spent by Dec. 30, 2020.
Preliminary discussions at this time for possible hot meals from Stafford for Union.
Half day sessions will have a 3 p.m. dismissal in the event of a 2 hour delay.
Dec. 7 was a practice Remote Learning Day. Feedback from staff and parents is being collected to see if adjustments need to be made.
Report Cards went home Dec. 4.
Teacher/parent conferences took place this week.
All students have devices for Remote Learning.
Spirit Week will take place next week.
- Curriculum-to meet in January.
- Transportation-Cameras have been installed on the buses.
- Personnel- A. Estell reported the Superintendent’s evaluation has been modified based on specific criteria. More information and updates to come at the next Board meeting.
- Building- E. Fournier will check in periodically for updates.
- Review of bills. The bills were reviewed and in order.
- 2020-21 Board of Ed Budget- Only essential items continue to be purchased. Mid-day cleaning will continue.
- Operations of schools during COVID-19 Policy and Reopening Plan Update-The DPH continues to update schools based on CDC guidance.
- Superintendent evaluation process-Discussed at the Subcommittee meeting. Documents will be provided at the next meeting.
- Budget Transfers-Sup/Prin. Jackopsic provided a list of budget transfers. E. Fournier made a motion to approve the budget transfers, L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
- 21-22 District Budget 1st Draft-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic provided and presented copies of the draft. One of the main goals is to present a fiscally responsible budget. Key areas include an increase in Special Education expenses at the secondary level and COVID-19 cleaning. Savings in transportation due to school being in session 177 days. The proposed budget is an increase of .26%. L. Roberts made a motion to adopt and send the proposed 2021-22 budget to the Board of Finance, E. Fournier seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
Individuals to be Heard
M. Huda asked for clarification on the Superintendent evaluation process.
L. Roberts noted that the SEL course was an important component for this year.
Motion by H. Bradway to adjourn at 7:49 p.m. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried. The meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Michele Powers, Recording Secretary.