April 14, 2021
Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 6:37 p.m. by A. Estell.
Attending: A. Estell, E. Fournier, J. Garden, L. Roberts,
Sup./Prin., S. Jackopsic, M. Powers, Rec. Sec.
Others attending: L. Demurjian
Approval of Minutes
L. Roberts made a motion to approve the minutes from March 10, 2021 and March 24, 2021. Seconded by E. Fournier. Unanimously approved.
Individuals to be heard-none
Sup./Prin. Jackopsic reported Woodstock Academy has provided us with copies of The Gleamer for anyone who is interested in receiving a copy.
Auditors have been in contact. No additional costs are anticipated. The Town of Union is paying for the costs.
Administrative Reports and Activities Summary
Superintendent and Principal’s Report-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic reflected on the past year and took time to recognize the efforts of students, staff and parents for their help and support this year.
He continues to attend URSA/NASA meetings. The state-wide student testing (May 10 start date) will be used as a baseline this year, and schools will not be assigned an accountability index. Educator evaluation models and curriculum will be discussed in future meetings as more guidance comes from the CT State Department of Education. Sup./Prin. Jackopsic indicated he is cautiously optimistic and has been in touch with state representatives regarding possible future ESSER III (American Rescue Plan) fund allocations.
Open specialist positions have been posted for next year. He is working on IDEA Grant and REAP applications for next year.
We continue to monitor transportation for Woodstock Academy as well as holding events such as Field Day and graduation. State guidelines indicate events can be held safely outdoors.
- Curriculum- none
- Communications- none
- Transportation- none
- Personnel- none
- Building- The new alarm company has shown good customer service, reliability and cost savings.
- EASTCONN- none
- Review of bills. The bills were reviewed and in order.
2. 2020-21 Board of Ed Budget-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic said we have been doing well with the current budget.
1. Advisory Group-next steps-SEL and Advisory Group have been meeting. It has been very positive
with great ideas being generated and discussed. Good marketing strategies discussed to add to the
school website. We are putting together surveys to continue to prepare for the future. Everyone has
been flexible moving forward.
- Vaccinations- The local health department was at the school on March 31 for the second vaccination clinic which went very well.
- Stafford Meals- They have been a big hit with students. The Director has been very helpful and supportive. We are still working out logistics and the possibility of using grant funds to continue the program.
- Operations of Schools during COVID-19 Policy and Reopening Plan Update-No changes at this time. Staff continue to use the Pre-Travel Disclosure form although travel advisories have changed.
1. 2021-22 Calendar- A rough draft for the 2021-22 calendar was presented. The calendar generally aligns with Woodstock Academy’s calendar.
E. Fournier made a motion to recommend that the 2021-22 Union School calendar be adopted, L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried to adopt the 2021-22 Union School calendar.
2. Superintendent Contract- J. Garden made a motion to move to an Executive Session to discuss the Superintendent’s contract. E. Fournier seconded the motion. The Board voted unanimously to move to an Executive session at 7:32 p.m.
The Board exited Executive session at 7:42 p.m. J. Garden made a motion to accept the conditions of the proposed Superintendent contract. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried.
Individuals to be Heard-none
Motion by J. Garden to adjourn at 7:50 p.m. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried. The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Michele Powers, Recording Secretary.