May 12, 2021
Union Board of Education
May 12, 2021
6:30 P.M. (Zoom only)
Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m. by A. Estell.
Attending: A. Estell, A. Blank, H. Bradway, E. Fournier, L. Roberts,
Sup./Prin., S. Jackopsic, M. Powers, Rec. Sec.
Others attending: L. Demurjian, E. Forziati, P. Zulick-Bessette
Approval of Minutes
H. Bradway made a motion to approve the minutes from April 14, 2021. Seconded by A. Blank. Unanimously approved.
Individuals to be heard-none
Administrative Reports and Activities Summary
Superintendent and Principal’s Report-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic reported the school held an SEL team-building event on Friday, May 7 which was a great success. One more is planned before Memorial Day.
We are still waiting to hear if we will receive ESSER III/American Rescue Plan funding.
Stafford meal program continues to be well-received and is running smoothly. We are looking into possibly using ESSER II funds to get the program started again next year.
Day Kimball Healthcare will be holding COVID-19 vaccination clinics May 15 and 22 for children ages 12 and up.
Eighth grade students will be visiting Woodstock Academy on Wednesday, May 26.
Field Day will be held Friday, June 11. The Field Day Group is still working on plans.
Eighth grade graduation will be held on Friday, June 18. Plans are still in the works.
SBAC testing is taking place this week.
We are currently planning for the extended school year summer session.
Title IV grant funds have been approved. We are using the funding to update the WIFI in our school building which is ~12 years old.
- Curriculum- none.
- Communications- none.
3. Transportation- Continues to run smoothly. A few adjustments have been made.
4. Personnel- Principal’s contract will be discussed in new business.
5. Building- none.
6. EASTCONN-The Director of Facilities and the Marketing Director will be retiring.
- Review of bills. The bills were reviewed and in order.
2. 2020-21 Board of Ed Budget-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic said we are in the black at this time. We are projected to spend less in the near future. A detailed presentation to come at the June BOE meeting.
1. Advisory Group update-The group has been sharing ideas based on a three-year plan. E. Forziati shared the group’s idea of developing individualized learning plans for all students. The hope is to improve upon parent/teacher communications.
2. Stafford Meals-Sup./Prin. Jackopsic will be meeting with Stafford and State individuals on Friday, May 14 to discuss plans for next year.
3. Operations of Schools during COVID-19 Policy and Reopening Plan Update-As the positivity rate and hospitalizations are declining, the quarantine period may be changing in the near future.
4. Policy 2nd readings (Neglect and abuse reporting, Social emotional learning)- Completed.
1. Remote learning 21-22-The State will not be requiring districts to offer remote learning for the 2021-22 school year. Sup./Prin. Jackopsic asked the Board to implement in-person learning for 2021-22 and use remote learning in emergencies/excessive snow days. A. Blank moved to direct the administration to implement an in-person learning program without a remote learning option for the 2021-2022 school year, unless required by the State of Connecticut, or if deemed necessary by the Union Board of Education. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried.
2. Letters of resignation- Sup./Prin. Jackopsic read a letter of resignation from Kristen Malinowski-Paine. A. Blank made a motion to accept the letter of resignation with regrets. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried.
Sup./Prin. Jackopsic read a letter of resignation from Mike Huda. L. Roberts made a motion to accept the letter of resignation with regrets. H. Bradway seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried.
3. Principal’s contract (possible executive session)- A motion was made by A. Blank to go into executive session inviting Sup/Prin Jackopsic and E. Fournier at 7:33 pm. The executive session exited at 7:51 pm. L. Roberts made a motion to accept the principal’s contract as presented. H. Bradway seconded the motion. The motion was accepted unanimously.
Individuals to be Heard- none.
Motion by A. Blank to adjourn at 8:04 p.m. L. Roberts seconded the motion. The motion unanimously carried. The meeting adjourned at 8:04 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Michele Powers, Recording Secretary.