June 2, 2021
Union Free Public Library Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
June 2nd, 2021 Via Zoom Video Conference/in-person at the library
Members Present: Ellen Silbermann, Karen Calabrese, Ed Capomacchio, Erin Kate Grabel-Forziati, Cheryl D’Amico, Danielle Kneeland and Library Director Cailin Rae
The meeting was called to order at 7:06pm
Secretary’s Report: Minutes were read and reviewed. Ellen made a motion to pass minutes and Karen second the motion. The motion passed unanimously at 7:11pm.
● Board Members: Welcomed Cheryl D’Amico and Danielle Kneeland to the board. Will be approved at the next selectmen meeting.
● Plant Sale: Erin dropped plants on May 23rd which were purchased from Garden Sales LLC, Manchester, CT. Ellen made a motion to reimburse Erin. Karen second the motion and the motion passed unanimously at 7:15pm. Cailin picked up 10 flats of assorted plants from Select Seeds. Dave and Janine Heck of Rock Meadow Farms should drop off two tables of vegetable plants at the end of their growing season.
● Summer read: Cailin received the CSLP( Collaborative Summer Library Program) Supplement Manual. This year’s theme is “Tails and Tales.” State library is now pushing towards “Outcome-Based Summer Reading Programs”.The program emphasizes the value of overall experiences at the library over the summer and how those contribute to life-long learners. Not penalizing readers who may struggle. The program gathers data through an exit survey. The traditional summer reading program is the number of books read or pages read. Currently the library does not report data to the state or conduct exit surveys but may need to in the future. Cailin is working on restructuring the summer reading reward system to better include group programming and experiences, as opposed to single prizes for individual readers.
● Field Day: Lorene Toth will be bringing a “petting zoo” of goats and rabbits,and is one of nine activities at the school starting at 10am on June 11th. Library will co-sponsor a hula hoop performer from Eastford in the afternoon. Ellen made a motion to co-sponsor the Field Day performing arts activity with the USA. Ed second the motion and the motion unanimously passed at 7:31pm. Ellen made a motion for Erin to purchase an appreciation gift for the library for Lorene Toth from Valley View Farm, Stafford, CT. Karen second the motion and the motion passed unanimously at 7:32pm.
● Bibliomation: Online catalogue, slight increase in cost from last year.
● Hoopla(online borrowing library): Currently 10 borrows per month. Cailin is looking to see if it is worth keeping at the current allotted borrowing per month.
● Board Games/Puzzles: Cailin ordered more games appropriate for younger children, to be circulated at the library. Puzzle swap is also a possibility, if the library can acquire puzzle donations from the community. Looking into a little free library project (possible working with a local Boy Scout troop or similar organization) to make things as accessible as possible.
● Hotspot: Received and about ready to be available for lending. Donna conducted a trial run and had a small issue but otherwise worked well. Cailin is bringing home to troubleshoot and do another trial run.
● Old Home Day: Library will have a table with refreshments and breakfast. Will have book sale, tie dye activity, snow cone machine and possibly a passive activity (i.e.corn hole). Will collaborate with USA to make their activity on the town green tie into library activities. Cheryl is looking into getting ice donated for snow cones. Volunteers will help set up/break down, bringing refreshments/food and handling cash as needed. New Business:
● Memorial Funds: Ed drafted bylaws for the memorial fund. Board will review and suggest any revisions necessary. Memorial donations will go into their own account and donors can suggest ways in which they would like the funds to be used.
● Masks: Masks required still in the library even if vaccinated. Signage will still be in place at the library. Treasurer's Report: Cailin sent updated budget expense report. The next meeting will be held via Zoom Conference/in person on Wednesday, August 4th, at 7:00pm. Ellen made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:24pm. Ed second the motion and the motion unanimously passed. Meeting adjourned at 8:24pm. Respectfully submitted, Erin Kate Grabel-Forziat