August 2, 2021
Selectmen’s Meeting August 2, 2021 Union, Connecticut
First Selectman Eaton called the meeting to order at 7:40 p.m.
Attending: Selectmen – David D. Eaton, David Heck, Mary Huda
Persons to be Heard: None
Minutes from the July 19, 2021 meeting were read. Selectman Huda made a motion to accept the minutes as presented; seconded by Selectman Heck. Vote was unanimous.
Bills were presented for review. Selectman Heck made the motion to pay the bills as presented. Motion seconded by Selectman Huda. Vote was unanimous.
- The State Dog Pound Routine Inspection was completed and approved.
- Following review and discussion, Selectman Heck made a motion to accept the Board of Selectmen Town Appointments, effective August 15, 2021 – August 15, 2023, as presented in the attached proposed list. First Selectman Eaton seconded the motion. Vote was 2 Yes; 1 abstention by Selectman Huda. Motion carried.
- The Connecticut State Statute 116-121 regarding municipal elections was discussed. It requires a biannual municipal election held the first Tuesday in November on odd years. The Town can revert to hold May municipal elections by a three-fourths majority vote of legislative body. First Selectman Eaton will research the correct definition of the legislative body. This Statute takes effect in January of 2022.
- The Town can join COST (Connecticut Council of Small Towns) this year for reduced fee. Following discussion, Selectman Heck made a motion to join COST for the 2021-2022 fiscal year. Motion seconded by Selectman Huda. Vote was unanimous.
- Regarding the audit, the Board discussed the miscellaneous fee issue on the 2021-2021 Budget.
- American Rescue Act Update:
Advanced Air Quality, Inc. cleaned the town ductwork.
Scotland Heating & AC will give quote on installation of dehumidifier in Library.
- First Selectman Eaton will attend a meeting next week with NECCOG to discuss hiring a consultant for American Rescue Act (ARA) application.
- The 2021 FY end budget is in good shape. The Auditors will come in for audit completion in the beginning of September.
Motion to adjourn at 9:02 p.m. by Selectman Huda; seconded by Selectman Heck. Vote was unanimous.
Karen Johnson, Recording Secretary
Board of Selectmen Town Appointments
August 15, 2021 – August 15, 2023
Assessor – Mary Huda, 860 684-5705
Selectmen’s Administrative Asst. – Karen Johnson, 860 684-3812
Animal Control Officer – Belinda Vennart, 860 306-0573
Town Counsel – AnnMarie Alexander, Esq., 860 749-0793
Building Official – Joseph Pajak, 860 234-1053
Fire Marshall – Charles Sweetland, 860 684-6703
Assistant Fire Marshall – Mark Morrison, 860 209-7613
Emergency Management Director – Stuart Cobb Willington Fire Dept. 860 428-0288; c – 860 234-9777
Assistant Emergency Mgmt. Director, LEPC Chairperson – Paul Wentworth, 860 974-0324
Cemetery Sexton – Jeffrey Anthony, 413 531-6316
Asst. Cemetery Sexton – John Talbot, 860 634-1463
Burning Official – Charles Sweetland, 860 684-6703
Memorial Day Coordinator – Karen Johnson, 860 684-3812
Agent for the Elderly – Karen Johnson, 860 208-8113
Tree Warden – Christine Jones, 860 338-7738
Health District – Northeast District Department of Health, 860 774-7350
Representative to NDDH – Nathan Swift, 860 684-7848; Alternate David Heck, 860 684-6184
Rep. to Mid-NEROC – Nathan Swift, 860 684-7848
Representative to the Eastern Connecticut Tourism District – Barry Kapplan
Representative to Tolland County Mutual Aid Fire Service – Louis Roberts; Alternate David Eaton
Cemetery Committee – Jeff Anthony, 413 531-6316
Heidi Bradrick, 860 684-3770
David Eaton, 860 684-4706
John Talbot, 860 634-1463
Old Home Day Committee – Tiffany Ko-Szych, 203 218-7680
William Cross, 860 341-1734
Revised August 2021